February 23, 2016
Mount Vernon, WA

Back in Mount Vernon for a couple of days and then the train home.  I should be home Sunday, it will feel good to be back to my own stuff even though I have enjoyed every minute if my trip.  Six weeks has been a very long time to be away.

My flight out of Akaska was very exciting!  It had snowed all night and all morning, then it rained for a couple of hours and turned back to snow.  K called the airport to see if flights were getting out and they were so we left in plenty of time to get to the airport and get a quick bite to eat.  We arrived at the airport only to find out that two flights had been cancelled and the one that just left was returning.  The storm had arrived in Anchorage and the plane could not land.  So, I stayed at the airport while K did some shopping, she returned to make sure I was going to fly out then she went on home.  My flight did leave about 50 minutes late but I had a two hour window originally so that was fine.  This place held nineteen passengers and it was not full so we could sit anywhere.  The runway was slushy under the wheels but I didn't feel any slipping.  Once in the air the fun started with all the turbulence was a very rough ride and I think we did do some sliding when we landed in Anchorage.  The next flight was on a little bigger plane and still only about half full but the turbulence was even more exciting.  I held my glass of Coke up or it would have been split all over.  Even the stewardess was told to strap in for almost ten minutes.  It was some roller coaster of a ride but I was not afraid.  The flight was Fairbanks to Seattle was uneventful or maybe I just slept through it.  In all the flying I have done this was the most turbelance I have ever experienced.

Kathy picked me up in Burlington, we came back to Mount Vernon for breakfast at the Calico
Cupboard.  A very unique little restaurant and antique shop.  After that we went out to Deception Pass State park to do some sight seeing and find Victor.  It was amazing the park is located on Whitby Island and covers 4,000 acres.  Victor took us on a hike and provided some history of the park.  Altogether a very lovely afternoon and a great time getting to know both Kathy and Victor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas 1955

In the quiet of the day